Stonecutters Island was ceded to the United Kingdom, along with Kowloon Peninsula, in 1860 under the Convention of Peking. It provided the building stones needed for urban development in the early colonial period. Major facilities developed on the island included Stonecutters Island Prison, Kowloon Naval Yard and the Navy, Army and Air Force Institutes (NAAFI). During the Japanese occupation in World War II, radio on the island was used for military purposes. The island was connected by reclamation to the mainland in Kowloon in the 1990s. Stonecutters Island Bridge, which is now the second longest cable-stayed bridge in the world, and a naval base of the People’s Liberation Army of the People’s Republic of China, are currently located on the island.