Shek Tong Tsui, or “Shek-tong Choy”, is a spur located at the northwest coast of Hong Kong Island. In Hakkan, “Shek Tong” means “Quarry”. The earliest record of the quarry can be traced back to Qing Dynasty. Chu Gui Yuen, a mason from Changle County in Guangdong, started quarrying granite in this area in 1771. Later, because of the infestation of tigers, wolves and pirates, Chu and his family moved to Sha Po Tsai in Kowloon.