In the 19th Century, Quarry Bay was an area with quarries of various sizes. The Chinese name of the area means “Crucian Carp River”. The River had been turned into a catchwater for the Tai Koo Reservoir in the late 19th Century. The estuary was converted into a drainage area with the widening of King’s Road in 1959, and disappeared during urbanisation in 1978. Vestiges of quarries can still be found in Kornhill and Quarry Bay. The name “Quarry Pass”, or “Quarry Gap”, is still being used to refer to the gap at the south of Quarry Bay.