Anderson Road Quarry is located on the southwestern
slopes of Chin Lan Chu in Kowloon, covering an area
of 86 ha with a working surface up to a height of 200 m
and horizontal extension of 1500m. Quarrying of granite
first started in 1956, supplying the urban development of
Kowloon and Hong Kong Island.
Origin of Anderson Road
Anderson Road was built by the British Army in the early
20th Century. It is named after William John Anderson,
Controller of Stores in Government Supplies of Hong Kong.
Anderson Road was originally a road linking Kowloon Peak
and the military facilities at the top of Devil’s Peak, via the
western part of Chin Lan Chu and Ma Yau Tong.
Anderson Road now terminates in Ma Yau Tong. The Quarry
at Chin Lan Chu, which is next to the Road, is thus named
“Anderson Road Quarry”.
Anderson Road quarry was leased from the government
on contracts, with a total production of 50 million tonnes
of aggregate. There are concrete and asphalt production
facilities, a block making plant and cement silos. The
aggregates were sold as concrete, asphalt, blocks and cement
for the development of the urban area.
Anderson Road Quarry, located at Chin Lan Chu in East
Kowloon, could be observed from the Hong Kong Island
across the Victoria Harbour. It caused a serious influence on
the landscape of the Harbour; and some people believed that
the quarry affected the Feng Shui of Hong Kong.
The Hong Kong government directed that its rehabilitation
be given top priority starting no later than the early 1990s.
Two of the rehabilitation objectives for the Anderson Road
quarries were to create a natural looking vegetated slope
which matches the adjoining slopes, and to form a number
of development platforms. The contract was signed in 1997
and the works are scheduled to be completed in 2016.